Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sick, sick, sick.

Well, it's about time I got another post up. I've been a bit useless this year. I'm sober this time :) but a little hungover.
I'm sick AGAIN! I first got a cold 6 or more weeks ago. The illness involved a sore throat, cough, runny nose etc. I got rid of it with some relaxation and staying warm, but the cough lingered for a few weeks. I almost felt fully healed and then suddenly, this super-dry, hacking cough happened and worsened, so I went to my doctor. The next day after my first visit* I had a full blown cold again. This cold involves heaps of snot which alternates from clear to green then clear again. I've had it for about 3 weeks now. I've heard this is common with native English speakers over here. There are many possible reasons why, but I am thinking it's to do with all the blossoms/pollen around. And the change of diet/air quality/season.
*Going to the doctor here is so different. It's real cheap. I pay $4 a time and have to keep seeing him every couple of days. My visits for this latest cold involved a tiny squirt of some bitter tasting medicine in each nostril and my mouth. A few minutes on the "respirator" or whatever it's called. And my favourite bit - a jab in the bum from the cute nurse (with a little bit of slapping!). Every couple of days. I noticed after my first few visits there was a change of nurse. Maybe the first nurse was traumatized and had to go on vacation.
After each doctor visit I go to the pharmacy for my pretty pills and super-sweet cough medicine, which costs another few bucks.
I've also been getting some traditional Korean medicine called ddeum (sounds like dim with a really strong "d" sound and a short "i" sound) from the school nurse. It's weird, but I kinda like it. Three sticky pads with burning wormwood are placed on my palm and when each one gets too hot they get moved to other points. I'd recommend it. It's real nice.
School's good. I have an open class next month which is the only thing that shits me at the moment. This is exactly how it sounds with the class being open to visitors. This upcoming open class is only open to other teachers from my school, but I have a "worse" one in September (I think), which will be open to teachers from all over the Bucheon area and reps from the company I work for who will video me and use the film for promotional purposes if they want to.
Other than that, I'm particularly loving my childcare classes for (mostly) first and second graders on Monday and Thursday afternoons. I'm mainly teaching drawing and the kids seem to like it. Actually, many other kids have wanted to sign up, but it's already full - with 25 students. Flattering I gu
ess. Shame there's only one of me.
Korean pop music sux. Then again, I like almost no western "pop" music either I guess. I was finally introduced to a great Korean band called The Ratios by a friend of mine and I highly recommend them and can't stop listening to them. Don't ask me what kinda music it is. I am terrible at categorizing music and I don't really believe in it. It's electronic of some kind. Lots of synths. There's also some live drumming and guitar playing. Please, enlighten me if you know (NOT!). I guess for me there's two categories of music - I enjoy it & It sux.
I've decided I want to be better at understanding Korean. So I'm gonna push myself a bit more with the Korean lessons.

1 comment: